The GMAT examination, one of the top eligibility criteria for applying to a business school, is conducted all around the year to offer much flexibility to its takers. While this is an extremely helpful attribute, the same also stands as a big bundle of confusion for test-takers-”When can I give GMAT?”
There are several factors that determine the best time to give GMAT examination. While the exact date may vary from person to person, having a gist of the perfect range of dates can be pretty helpful in registering and preparing for the test.
Table of Contents
There are countless approximations and advice to the question. Both long and short.
But how will you decide if the time is correct for you? The GMAT is a Computer Adaptive Test. You can even book the appointment one or two days before or go for a walk-in. But counting on just that might not be the wisest choice. In this article, we summarise everything you need to know if you’re constantly asking yourself “When should I give GMAT?”
Suggested: MBA Programs Waiving GMAT in 2022
Factors Deciding the Best Time to Give GMAT
There are several factors that need to coincide for you to pick the perfect time to give the GMAT Examination. Let us briefly go through them.
- Deadline of your dream business school: It is extremely important to know the deadlines of your top five business schools in advance. It is good if the deadlines are close to each other. The rule of thumb says that you should give the test and submit the scores at least three months before the deadline. This will also leave you with enough time to get all other requirements done.
- Preparation time available: An average student needs at least 80 to 100 hours of preparation to give the GMAT examination. Give the examination only if you’re 100% confident and prepared. Don’t forget; you can only retake a GMAT exam after 16 days of your previous test, and no more than 5 times in one calendar year. It is wise to leave that bandwidth to be able to give the GMAT twice before your application deadline.
- Other requirements: Business school applications are a marathon. All your requirements and formalities may take up to 12 months to be made ready. Therefore, it is best to have the GMAT well before that. Your GMAT scores will be valid for five years after you give your test, so that won’t be a problem in any way.
- Test centre availability: You got all the factors covered and picked one date for you to give the test. But the test centre was all full that day. Now what? It is best to book your slot two months before the test date. Otherwise, you’ll end up having no slots left for your perfect date. Also keep at least three possible test-taking dates, just in case the slots are full even two months in advance.
What is the Best Time to Give GMAT for Students?
The date to give the GMAT exam also depends on who you are. If you’re a student, other factors like your school examinations, vacations, etc. may play an extremely important role in deciding the date of your GMAT. The GMAT is an important examination and you shouldn’t risk distraction while preparing. So, if you’re asking when can we give GMAT exam as students, here is when.
If you’re an undergrad student, you should definitely give the GMAT while still a student as soon as possible. Check out other important events in your life and then decide on one date that will be suitable for your GMAT. giving the GMAT as a student has many, many benefits.
- The scores will be valid for five years, so you don’t have to worry about them running invalid when you apply
- Concepts are fresh in mind
- You’re habitual of tests, assessments, and exams
- More time is available to squeeze in the GMAT preparation
Thus, you should definitely go for the GMAT examination while still in high school. The syllabus isn’t too complicated or difficult, and you’ll thank yourself in the future.
Suggested: Which Countries are Accepting GMAT in 2022?
When to Give GMAT Exam for the Fall and Spring Intake?
As we discussed earlier, the best time to take the GMAT examination is 12 to 18 months before the deadline for your business school application stands. This is because you should have enough time for retakes in case you don't score as much as you expect. Now, if you’re looking forward to applying to the fall intake of the business school, you should give the GMAT around August of the previous year.
Similarly, if you wish to take admission to the spring intake of the business school, it is best to give the GMAT in February of the previous year. For example, if your business school deadline is in Fall 2023, the best time to give GMAT is in the August of 2022.
Suggested: GMAT Score for MBA in Canada!
When is the Best Time to Give GMAT as a Professional?
If you’re a working professional who decided to pursue education again, we have the best solution for you too. You should ideally take the GMAT about 12 months before your program at the university begins. This implies that you should give the GMAT with enough time left for retakes. You could ask the Yocket community about their experience as a professional in taking the GMAT examination for advice.
Deciding the best time to take the GMAT Examination can be a catch for most aspirants. Largely, this article should help you decide the best time for the test. If you’re still confused about or need more clarity on the perfect time to take the GMAT, you could book a free consultation call with the world’s best experts and discuss your personal situation. This will help you get a personalised date for your GMAT examination.
Frequently Asked Questions about When to Give GMAT Exam
Ques. When can I give GMAT examination?
Ans. You can take the GMAT all around the year, but no more than 5 times in a single year.
Ques. How many days’ gap is required before I retake the GMAT?
Ans. A 16 days’ gap is needed between two consecutive GMAT exams.
Ques. When can you give GMAT if you’re applying to the fall intake of business schools?
Ans. If you’re applying to the university’s fall intake, you should take the test around August of the previous year.
Ques. When should you give GMAT if you’re applying to the Spring intake?
Ans. You should give the test at least 16 months before, that is around February of the previous year.
Ques. Is GMAT more difficult than the GRE?
Ans. Yes. Both the verbal and quants section of the GMAT is significantly more difficult than the GRE.