If you are planning to opt for undergraduate studies abroad, you must be aware of SAT, ACT and other related exams. The SAT exam full form is Scholastic Aptitude Test. Although these exams are based on subjects covered in high school, they require extra preparation and practice. Before starting with your preparation, you must have an in-depth knowledge of what is SAT test, SAT syllabus, exam pattern, scores, scholarships, etc.
We have answered all your queries about the Scholastic Assessment Test in this inclusive blog that covers all SAT exam and SAT preparation details. This blog will guide you to qualify for your SAT test with flying colours.
What is SAT Exam? Why to Appear for SAT?
Let us begin our discussion by covering the basic SAT exam information and understanding why SAT is important.
Students often wonder why SAT exam is required for undergraduate studies. The Scholastic Aptitude Test (also known as ‘SAT’) is a reasoning test required by universities across the globe for admission to their undergraduate courses at the best universities abroad. SAT test is scored out of 1600, with 400 being the minimum marks. The SAT exam time is 3 hours.
SAT exams have an Evidence-Based Reading & Writing section and a Math section, each for 800 marks. The essay is optional in the SAT entrance exam and takes about 50 extra minutes. The order of the sections is: Reading-> Writing-> Math-> Essay (optional). All the questions here are Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs), except some in the Math section. There is no negative marking in the SAT test; it is recommended to attempt all the questions.
Let us now go through some good reasons why to give SAT exam:
- SAT scores are accepted by most colleges in India and abroad.
- You can avail different well-paid scholarships by appearing for SAT.
- SAT preparation is cost-effective. There are many online platforms that offer free SAT practice tests.
- SAT is conducted four times a year. Hence you may take your time and opt for the most convenient time to appear for it.
- There is no negative marking in SAT. Hence, you may attempt all questions even if you are not fully sure of the right answer.
For SAT exam registration, visit the official College Board website. You will get all the information and steps that you need to follow.
SAT 2022 Updates
The SAT test dates for 2022 are now out. The upcoming SAT exam dates for Indian students are 12th March, 7th May and 4th June. The result dates are 25th March, 20th May and 13th July respectively. That SAT exam fee for 2023 is $104.
Before you begin SAT exam in India preparation, you need to understand the format of the exam. Here is a quick guide to help you understand all about SAT preparation and a brief idea of SAT exam syllabus:
SAT Reading Section
A passage is given in this section, which may be an excerpt from a book, an article, or some extract. Infographics are used in some questions that test your analysing skills. You don’t need to fret about it since all the questions are related to the passage only. It’s not about how well you memorize facts and definitions, so you won’t need to use flashcards or insider tricks or spend all night cramming. This section tests your command of evidence, knowledge of words in context, and analysis in History/Social Studies and in Science by examining hypotheses and interpreting data. You can practice some sample Reading questions here.
Suggested: SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing
SAT Writing Section
Just like the previous section in the Scholastic Aptitude Test, a passage will be provided in this section. You will have to proofread and correct the mistakes as asked in the questions. Some questions will have infographics to aid the test takers. This section tests additional skills apart from those mentioned before, which include the Expression of Ideas (for fill-in-the-blanks questions) and sentence structure, usage, and punctuation.
You can practice some sample Writing questions here.
Suggested: SAT Writing and Language
SAT Math Section
All questions here are MCQs except some which ask test-takers to come up with the answer (grid-ins). The section has two parts: Math Test-Calculator and Math Test-No Calculator. The No-Calculator part has quick and easy to solve questions. This section tests your fluency, conceptual understanding and applications, and calculator use with topics such as Heart of Algebra (linear equations and systems), Problem Solving and Data Analysis (quantitative literacy), and Passport to Advanced Math (complex equations). Geometry and Trigonometry are also some of the topics tested here. Fear not; the latter two produce basic level questions. There are about 22% grid-in questions which you would need to solve; there are no options provided here.
You can practice sample Math questions here.
Suggested: Books for SAT Math Preparation
SAT Essay Section
The Essay section is optional as only some colleges require them. Check Your College Policies for information regarding the SAT Exam Essay requirement. The SAT Essay is completely different from any banal school essay in that you have to read a passage and throw light on how the author moulds an argument in support of something. You do not have to present your views let alone justify your side of the case. Each component on the essay is scored from 2-8. These components are Reading, Analysis, and Writing. The three scores are not added to sum up the Essay composite score.
You can practice sample Essay questions here.
Suggested: SAT Essay Writing Preparation and Tips
SAT Results/ SAT Scores
The Scholastic Aptitude Test is difficult for one to crack but once done, the SAT scores are usually available 14 days after the test day. Make sure you know all the exam details. One needs to have a few days after the SAT exam results, the scores are sent to the college recipients that you select before the test. For up to 9 days, you can send your score reports to 4 recipients for free. After this, there is a fee charged for each of these recipients, unless you have a fee waiver. When it comes to university applications, it is available on CommonApp or on the University Website or if you are applying to UK University, you can use UCAS. Be sure to check individual university requirements and apply accordingly.
Suggested: What is SAT Superscore?
What is SAT Exam Eligibility Criteria?
The college board has not set any specific eligibility criteria for SAT. In general, one may appear for SAT if he/she is aspiring to apply to a college or university undergraduate program, scholarships, etc. SAT is open to all those interested in pursuing their undergraduate studies in foreign countries like the USA, Canada, Australia, Singapore, New Zealand, and so on.
Since the purpose of SAT is to enhance the chances for students to pursue a bachelor’s degree at the best colleges in the world, most of the SAT aspirants are class 11th or 12th qualified. There is no SAT exam age limit.
What is SAT Exam Pattern?
As we have mentioned, the SAT test is divided into three sections: Reading, Writing, Math and an optional Essay section. Let us now have a look at the SAT exam pattern of each section:
- SAT Reading: As the name suggests, it is a reading comprehension section consisting of 52 questions in total. There are 5 passages here followed by 10 to 11 multiple choice questions that are expected to be covered in 65 minutes.
- SAT Writing: Overall, the SAT writing section evaluates your grammar, vocabulary and language skills. It consists of 4 passages with 10 to 11 passages each that are to be covered in 35 minutes. You must first read and understand these passages and then answer the questions within the given time frame.
- SAT Math: The SAT math section is divided into two parts. The first section is a no calculator test of 25 minutes and the second section is 55 minutes. You can use a calculator for the latter. The Math section altogether has 58 questions covering topics like arithmetic, statistics, geometry, data interpretation, probability and other problem-solving questions.
- SAT Essay: The SAT section has a 650-700 words long passage. You must begin by reading the passage with concentration so that you are able to analyze the author’s arguments and perspective. The SAT exam time here is around 50-minute duration.
Now that we know why to give SAT exam, SAT eligibility and exam pattern, let us see how to register for it:
How to Register for SAT?
The entire online process of SAT exam registration can be divided into 4 broad stages as follows:
- Sign-Up to Create a College Board Profile
- Fill out the SAT Application Form
- Book a suitable SAT Exam Date & Test Center
- Pay the SAT Registration Fees
SAT Exam Registration Dates 2022
The College Board has released the SAT registration dates for the year 2022. Make sure to complete your SAT application before the deadline is crossed. The latest SAT registration dates are listed below:
Deadline for Changes/ Cancellation/ Late Registration
4 June 2022
5 May 2022
25 May 2022
27 August 2022
29 July 2022
16 August 2022
1 October 2022
2 September 2022
20 September 2022
5 November 2022
7 October 2022
25 October 2022
3 December 2022
3 November 2022
22 November 2022
What are Popular SAT Centres in India?
There are many centres in India to appear for SAT. A city-wise list of the popular test centres in India has been mentioned below:
- Anjuman Islam HS
- Bombay Teachers Training Cell
- Delhi Public School (DPS)
- Nahar International School
- Fravashi International School
- Podar ORT International School
- NES International School
- Bangalore INTL School
- Bishop Cotton Boys School
- Canadian International School
- Inventure Academy
- The International School Bangalore
- Neev Academy
- Mahindra International School
- Mahindra United World College India
- Cathedral Vidya SCH Lonavala
- University of Pune
- Lancers International School
- GD Goenka World School
- Pathways World School
- Chirec Public School
- Delhi Public School (DPS)
- Sreenidhi International School
- The Gaudium School - Kollur Campus
Suggested: SAT Test Centres
How to Apply for SAT 2023 Scholarships?
The application process for SAT scholarships for international students is simple and easy. A step by step guide to apply for SAT scholarships 2023 for Indian students is as follows:
- Appear for SAT exam and acquire a high SAT score.
- Shortlist the colleges and send all your application details for the course.
- Once you receive an acceptance letter from the college check for the availability of SAT scholarships on their official website.
- The application link will be there on the website itself. Follow the instructions and complete your application process.
- Lastly, wait till you hear from the concerned authorities.
To know more check out our blog SAT 2022 scholarships.
So this was all about SAT exam and how to prepare for SAT. Before taking the SAT, research the colleges which do not require SAT score. We recommend you to double-check with the colleges’ websites for the same as well. Additionally, a number of students prefer going for the ACT instead of SAT registration. You complete just about 1/10th of your application process for those who are done with the tests. The following is a guide on What To Do After SAT/ACT.
For further information, guidance and assistance, do not hesitate to contact our counselors at Yocket.
Before concluding the blog, let us have a look at some important SAT faqs:
Frequently Asked Questions About SAT Exam
Ques. What is SAT exam full form?
Ans. The SAT test full form is Scholastic Aptitude Test.
Ques. Why SAT exam is required?
Ans. By qualifying SAT exam with high scores, you will be eligible to apply for undergraduate courses at universities across the globe.
Ques. What is Sat exam eligibility for Indian students?
Ans. There is no such SAT eligibility for any student. The students mostly appear for SAT exam after 12th. So, the minimum criteria can be considered as class 11th or 12th pass.
Ques. What is the best time to take SAT?
Ans. May and June are usually the most popular times to appear for SAT. The reason being students conclude their school year during that time and are more in touch with their studies. This helps them to understand the SAT exam pattern well.
Ques. What is SAT paper pattern?
Ans. The pattern for SAT exam 2023 consists of four sections altogether:
- Optional essay
Ques. What is the range of marks in SAT exam?
Ans. The SAT score range is between 400 to 1600.
Ques. What is SAT exam fee 2023 for Indian students?
Ans. The SAT exam fee in Indian rupees is 8,074 INR.
Ques. Is there SAT scholarship for Indian students?
Ans. Yes, all international students including Indians are eligible to apply for SAT scholarships.
Ques. What are SAT exam centres in India?
Ans. Popular SAT centres in India are:
- Ahmedabad International School
- Allen house Public School, Khalasi
- Delhi Public School (DPS)
- Metro Delhi International School