Practice is the only key that can unlock your door to achieve good scores in GRE AWA. Even if you might have perfect GPAs on your transcripts, scoring well in writing will require GRE AWA preparation with dedication. Although most B-schools are concerned about the quantitative and verbal reasoning scores, the scores for GRE AWA matter a lot especially in case of international students whose first language is not English.
If you are looking for some useful tips for GRE writing section, you have landed in the right place. Fasten your seat belts and hold right till the end as you are about to explore a variety of GRE AWA tips and tricks that will help you excel in the exam!
|Table of Contents|
How to Prepare for GRE AWA with Study Plan
If you are wondering how to prepare for GRE AWA, here’s your answer: Firstly, everyone’s preparation needs vary and no one study plan can suit all. Some may complete the entire GRE prep within 4 weeks while some take up to 4 months. It also depends on how many hours of the day you dedicate to the exam prep and what is your preparation strategy. Here is GRE analytical writing tips to plan your preparation:
- Start by understanding the exam pattern and the essay structure.
- Next, go through a few perfectly scored essays and understand what impresses the graders.
- Practice upto 3-5 essays yourself and see how you can make it better.
- Also learn to manage your time as you will get exactly 30 minutes to complete each task.
- For preparing within 2 or less months at least dedicate 2 hours, 2 days every week only for AWA practice.
- You can arrange for books and resources to practice GRE AWA issues as well as arguments.
- Register yourself for online practice tests to get accustomed to the exam pattern and timings.
- Focus on brushing your vocabulary skills while preparing for GRE AWA.
- Lastly, stay alert about the day to day happenings for which you may read daily newspapers, journals, etc.
Tips on Writing AWA
What is worth mentioning here is that the best AWA essay is the one that is convincing and easy to comprehend, where the ideas have been represented with conviction and solid evidence supporting it. Let’s first take a look at the GRE AWA tips for issue essays:
- Practice at least 3-5 essays
Pick topics from different areas and time yourself to complete the essay within 30 minutes while also following the appropriate guidelines.
- Choose your side before you start writing
Neither will you have the time to argue from both sides nor is it recommended. It is always best to pick one side and completely justify it through your essay.
- Be specific while providing examples
You are expected to provide specific examples relevant to your issue, not general instances that cannot fully justify your stand.
- Follow appropriate GRE AWA format
A well formatted essay will surely fetch you better scores. Also pay attention to grammar, vocabulary and spellings.
Now that you have seen GRE analytical writing tips for issue essays, let's proceed with the GRE AWA preparation and writing tips for arguments:
- Refute the argument
As you know, the GRE AWA argument essay examines your ability to reason, so you need to hold your stand and not accept the given essay in any way.
- Support your essay with evidence
You must go through the given passage very carefully and see where the author’s viewpoint is incorrect and point it out in your essay by justifying it with suitable evidence.
- Decide the number of arguments
When you go through the essay, decide the number of arguments you will include in your essay. Ideally, cap it to 3 so that there are neither too many nor too less. If you find more than 3 points to argue, go for the most reasonable 3 so that you can keep your essay crisp and clear and also complete it within the timeframe.
- Focus on the use of words
Vocabulary matters a lot when it comes to argument as your words must hold the power to justify your thoughts completely.
Do’s and Don’ts During GRE AWA Preparation
Having known how to prepare for GRE AWA, it is also worth noting the do’s and don’ts during preparation and while writing the essay. Here are the points you should keep in mind to make your essay convincing:
- Prepare a framework of the essay in your mind before you start writing to continue without interruption.
- Make the introduction engaging.
- Try to hold the attention of the reader in the consequent paragraphs through interesting examples.
- Write clear and declarative statements, not something that can be misinterpreted by the reader.
- In your conclusion, mention a few lines that invalidate the opposing views.
- Always write in a professional tone and use third person speech.
Take care of the following don'ts while GRE analytical writing prep so that you don’t mess up on the day of the exam:
- It is recommended not to include first person speech, unnecessary words or self-reference in your essays.
- Don’t panic while you read an essay but try to read in between the lines and comprehend the topic before you start writing.
- Don’t waste time on writing something you are not sure about.
- Don’t try to relate a general example to your essay as it compromises the validity of your argument.
- Most importantly, don’t forget to take frequent breaks and relax.
With this we come to the end of our discussion on GRE AWA tips and tricks. We hope you got an idea about the GRE AWA test prep and helpful tips for the GRE writing section that will help you go a long way and achieve competent scores. Everything seems to be difficult until it’s done and although it cannot be said that perfect scores on GRE is a piece of cake with GRE AWA tips, it will definitely help you fetch a decent score enough to get into your dream B-school if you put in the right amount of hard work.
To get guidance on every step of your journey, we recommend you to upgrade to Yocket Premium today and get access to a range of counseling services, suggestions and answers to all your questions about entrance tests and studying abroad from experienced counselors at Yocket!
Frequently Asked Questions about GRE AWA Preparation
Ques. How difficult is GRE AWA?
Ans. GRE AWA is considered difficult and not comparable to other entrance tests such as SAT, ACT or TOEFL. As the name itself suggests, GRE AWA focuses on analytical writing skills rather than basic English language skills that makes it more challenging than other exams.
Ques. How long does it take to prepare for GRE AWA?
Ans. There is no ideal time for AWA GRE preparation. The more you practice, the better your scores will be. Even before you start practicing the essay writing, you must go through newspapers, magazines and any source that can provide you with real-world examples to cite in the paper.
Ques. What is the ideal GRE AWA score to get into B-schools abroad?
Ans. A minimum GRE AWA score of 4-4.5 is recommended to get into B-schools abroad.
Ques. How do you get 6 on GRE AWA?
Ans. There is no mantra to achieve 6 on GRE AWA. It is only possible if you follow complete guidelines, stick to the topic, clearly identify the issue, have a clear idea, use strong words and perfect English language skills with no errors in writing and follow the GRE analytical writing tips and tricks discussed above.
Ques. What is the word limit for GRE AWA essay?
Ans. Ideally, the GRE AWA essay must be written between 400-600 words divided into 4-5 paragraphs.